Business Interaction Opportunities:
- Business Tours
- Job Shadowing
- Industry-Specific Learning Events
- CEO's in the classroom (8th grade)
- eMentoring (Spring semester only)
- Career EdVenture, an initiative of the Northeast Minnesota Office of Job Training, has formed a partnership with BestPrep, a statewide nonprofit organization with a mission to prepare students through hands-on experiences that inspire success in work and life. One of their premier programs is eMentors which fosters email mentoring partnerships between professionals and students, leveraging volunteers from almost every career field. The program includes weekly emails based on a series of guiding questions, monitored by teachers and tailored to meet various curricula. Topics such as business, workplace skills, economics, math, financial literacy and science help students understand the relationship between classroom learning and future careers.
- Career EdVenture is leveraging this partnership to help connect high school classrooms to groups of mentors from the same company in a supervised, guided format. It is an 8 week program where students exchange one email per week with their designated mentor. In the middle of the program, students and mentors gather for a Meet & Greet at the company and often will tour the facility of their mentor's employer.
On January 7, 2015 approximately 20 Cloquet High School seniors met with their eMentors from Cloquet Memorial Hospital. On February 10, 2015, seniors from Cromwell High School met with their eMentors from Members Cooperative Credit Union. After a month and a half of sending e-mails to each other the mentors were meeting the students in person. Together they discussed plans for the future over lunch.
Clare Balow, Career Counselor with the Northeast Minnesota Office of Job Training, stated, "The program is an excellent way to get youth involved with our local businesses and have those networking connections made. The eMentors Meet and Greet is a wonderful event to see the networking and advising taking place between the two individuals in person. It brings real life business practices into the lives of the yourh."